SMB 2020 Virtual Audition Information
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all auditions for the fall 2020 season will be adjudicated online.
All applicants should review the audition requirements below before submitting an audition. Additional information with specific instructions for each section can be found here.
Further questions about the specific audition requirements should be directed to the following staff members:
- Hornline & Big Ten Flag – Dr. Thornton: firstname.lastname@example.org / Dr. Golden: email@example.com
- Drumline – Dr. Weber: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colorguard – Emily Rogers: email@example.com
Summer audition timeline
- All applicants (regardless of section) should register for an audition using the following
- All drumline applicants should complete this form ASAP for complete access to audition
materials: https://forms.gle/YcSPqY9BS8c18K9S8. If you have the music to Y2, you have already completed this form. To submit your first round video audition, no later than Friday June 5th, please use the following audition submission form:
- All hornline, colorguard, and big ten flag applicants should submit their audition, no later than
Friday July 10th, using the following audition submission form:
Any individual who is auditioning for more than one section should submit a form for each audition. Once your audition is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email that your audition materials have been received. (Please allow 2-3 days for processing time)
A note for the 2020 fall season
At this time, we are planning to move forward as usual for the start of our 2020 season. The fall 2020 season information mailing, including all audition results, will be sent no later than Friday, July 17th. This mailing will answer all of your questions regarding the upcoming year. Please note: All students who audition successfully for the Spartan Marching Band (SMB) will be expected to report to campus on Monday, August 24th. All new drumline members will be expected to report to campus on Saturday, August 22nd.
Any changes to our season, reporting dates, etc., will be communicated via email and D2L. Other important information that would have been communicated at auditions:
- Students cannot be accepted into the SMB if you have not been fully admitted to Michigan
State University (MSU).
- All students must enroll for credit in MUS 114 – Spartan Marching Band. When scheduling
your classes for the fall semester, you should communicate to your advisor that you are
planning to participate in the SMB (even if you have not heard about results). Rehearsals are
everyday from 4:30-6pm, with sectionals from 4:00-4:25pm on Wednesday/Friday, and an
additional Monday night rehearsal from 7-9pm. Drumline has additional rehearsals Monday /
Wednesday / Friday from 3:30 – 4:30 pm. Class conflicts are not permitted for first year
members. You should plan the rest of your schedule around these times.
- You will be contacted by our section leaders once results are posted. They will be a great
resource for you. Please utilize them and communicate all your questions!
Good luck and Go Green!