The Spartan Marching Band (SMB) will have both virtual and in-person audition processes for
summer 2021. All applicants should review the audition requirements below before submitting an
audition. Any potential changes to the audition process due to the pandemic will be communicated
via email and social media platforms.
Further questions about the specific audition requirements should be directed to the following staff
- Hornline & Big Ten Flag – Dr. Thornton: firstname.lastname@example.org / Dr. Golden: email@example.com
- Drumline – Dr. Weber: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Color Guard – Emily Rogers: email@example.com
Summer audition timeline
- All applicants (regardless of section) should register for an audition using the following
form – Registration Form
- All drumline applicants should complete this form ASAP for complete access to audition
materials: https://drumline.music.msu.edu/auditions/index.html. To submit your first round
video audition, no later than Wednesday May 5th, please use the following audition submission
form – Audition Form
Once your audition is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email that your audition materials have been received.
Section specific audition information
Section specific audition information can be found >>>>>> here <<<<<<.
2021 Audition Q&A video
A note for the 2021 fall season
At this time, we are planning to move forward as usual for the start of our 2021 season. The fall
2021 season information mailing, including all audition results, will be sent no later than Friday, July
2nd. This mailing will answer all of your questions regarding the upcoming year. Please note: All
students who audition successfully for the Spartan Marching Band (SMB) will be expected to report
to campus on Monday, August 23rd. All new drumline members will be expected to report to
campus on Saturday, August 21st. Any changes to our season, reporting dates, etc., will be
communicated via email and D2L.
Other important information for prospective SMB members
- Students cannot be accepted into the SMB if you have not been fully admitted to Michigan
State University (MSU).
- All students must enroll for credit in MUS 114 – Spartan Marching Band. When scheduling
your classes for the fall semester, you should communicate to your advisor that you are
planning to participate in the SMB (even if you have not heard about results). Rehearsals are
every day from 4:30-6pm, with sectionals from 4:00-4:25pm on Wednesday/Friday, and an
additional Monday night rehearsal from 7-9pm. Drumline has additional rehearsals Monday /
Wednesday / Friday from 3:30 – 4:30 pm. Class conflicts are not permitted for first year
members. You should plan the rest of your schedule around these times.
- You will be contacted by our section leaders once results are posted. They will be a great
resource for you. Please utilize them and communicate all your questions!
Any questions about the audition process? Be sure to visit the SMB audition FAQ page.